Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies




When my husband and I first got married and started living together in our house, our neighbor came by with a gift. Now, the neighbors I'm referring to are the sweetest elderly couple you have ever met - they have lived in their house since the houses here were built (1960's). We feel so blessed to have such wonderful neighbors. But I digress.... they brought us over a homemade chocolate cake/pie thing, and a little cookbook from the church they attend, Bermuda Hundred United Methodist Church. That's where this recipe came from, submitted by Jeannie Lamb. I made a few edits, and I the recipe below is exactly how I made it.


Also, today is a special day. Today marks the one year anniversary of my grandfather's last chemo treatment. He beat cancer and is doing wonderfully. Grandpa and I have a very special relationship, and I love him dearly. So, I'm shipping some of these cookies to him. I'm also shipping some to my dad's mom. My dad's dad passed away about a month ago, and I want to make sure my grandmother knows how much she means to me.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour cream (I used buttermilk)
1 3/4 cup sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
3 cups quick oats
1 cup raisins


Cream shortening, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in buttermilk, sift dry ingredients together. Stir into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and raisins. Use medium pampered chef scoop onto baking stone. Bake for 8 minutes at 400 degrees.
Enjoy!


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oatmeal raisin cookies are some of my favorite. Yum!

Pops Schlimmer said...

If I had a hundred daughters, you would be my favorite.

Love Ya!