Sunday, November 4, 2007

White Cake with Lemon Filling



My grandparents were going to be in for the weekend, and Monday is my grandfathers birthday so my mom asked me to make a cake. I searched high and low before I found this recipe on AllRecipes.

White Cake with Lemon Filling

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 egg
1 cup whipped cream

Preheat oven to 375 and grease two 9 inch rounc cake layer pans. Place 2 cups of the flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the shortening, salt, and 2/3 cup of the milk in a mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed. Stir in the baking powder. Add the egg whites, remaining milk and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla and beat for 2 more minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cakes cool then spread Lemon Filling between the layers and frost with any icing.
Lemon Filling: In a saucepan over medium heat combine 3/4 cups of the sugar, 2 tablespoons of the flour, the orange and lemon juice and the remaining egg. Cook until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and let cook completely before folding in the whipped cream. Spread between cooled cake layers.
*Note, be careful how fast you heat up the filling. On my first try - I ended up with lemony scrambled eggs!

Everyone loved this cake, it was nice and light. As you can see, I added a Michigan logo because my grandfather is a HUGE fan of Michigan!

No comments: