Monday, April 28, 2008

Strawberry Bread


My grandmother, mother, sister-in-law and I went to the opening of the local strawberry patch this past weekend. Unfortunatily, due to the rain - most of the berries were rotten. We got a few good ones though, enough for me to make this great recipe I found on the nest. Amy from Skinny Food by Amy shared this recipe with me, and I was so excited when I saw it! It's really a wonderful bread, I highly recommend it.


This recipe is copied from Amy's blog. I used the full fat version since I did not have the low fat ingredients on hand. I'm sure it's great either way.




Hard to believe, but I reduced the calories by 100 calories per serving on this bread, and am sure that I didn't impact the taste much at all! My dad bought a flat of Louisiana strawberries late last week, and so I have been trying to figure out ways to get rid of the strawberries since their lives are at their end..lol. This helped me rid of a pint and in an awesome way!


This bread is delicious, especially with a dollop of cool whip. I want another piece but I know I snacked enough earlier when I got home lol. Here is the original recipe with my substitutions from AllRecipes.


INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups fresh strawberries

* 3 1/8 cups all-purpose flour (1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 1/8 cups AP flour)

* 2 cups white sugar (1 cup splenda, 1 cup white sugar)

* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (12 oz. no sugar added applesauce)

* 4 eggs, beaten

* 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans (omitted because I hate pecans)


DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.

2. Slice strawberries, and place in medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle lightly with sugar, and set aside while preparing bread mixture.

3. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in large bowl: mix well. Blend oil and eggs into strawberries. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in pecans. Divide batter into pans.

4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaves out, and cool completely.I did end up just baking this in a 8x8 pan since I couldn't find the loaf pans :(. Worked out just fine! All in all this was delicious and I'm looking forward to this for breakfast tomorrow morning!


**I used my Pampered Chef mini-loaf stoneware pan, and it worked great!

No comments: